Saturday, April 14, 2018

During the six months or so that I spent in Cairo I suffered only one nasty stomach upset.  It was  caused by something I ate in the Nile Hilton.

A rather more serious upset featured in the excellent The Nile Hilton Incident.  A cabaret singer gets her throat slit in the hotel and the policeman called on to handle the case finds himself working rather against the tide of police and political corruption that he usually swims in and profits from.  He's cynical and careworn but somehow his revulsion at this particular crime with its sexual and political nastiness gets under his skin and despite the sticks and carrots deployed to persuade him to leave well alone he pursues the truth.  The plot wanders a bit towards the end but the film is a satisfying and absorbing thriller whose Cairene setting on the eve of the 2011 revolution I particularly relished. 

I likewise relished the setting of The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie in 1930s Edinburgh.  Not that I was there then, but the flavour of the times persists in the imagination if not in fact.  In the cinema it's fun spotting the locations, hearing the accents, admiring the performances and at least in my case remembering with pleasurable nostalgia the Kitwe production of the play. 

No comments: