Friday, September 08, 2017

The town has been pretty quiet since the Festival ended and I've been slowly recovering from hyper-activity by practising sloth. 

Normal service is slowly being resumed.  The band has started up again as have my sax lessons.  I've put the clarinet back in its box so my Wednesday evenings are free for other things.  I've booked up various dance, music and theatre shows for the Autumn and I'm off for a saxophone weekend and a wee staycation shortly.

Some of my chums from the Spanish class I went to for years are now meeting monthly for coffee and chat and that's a rhythm I think I can keep up.  I've hardly spoken a word of Spanish for three years and when I've tried there's been a degree of Italian interference so a monthly douche will do me good. To blur my language landscape further I've signed up for a Gaelic course. 

It's also been a good time to catch up on exhibitions that have been running all summer. I caught the end of one at the Museum on the fascinating subject of an Egyptian tomb and what was found in it.  It made me feel that mummification might be a nice alternative to cremation when the time comes.  I also saw the exhibition Beyond Caravaggio.  I was struck by the modern feel of many of the figures in the paintings and the gorgeous capture of light by so many of those who learned from and/or copied the man himself.

I'm also trying to reduce the height of my books waiting to be read stack.  I've got through half a dozen ranging in subject matter from the history of computer programming (an enthralling read) to a spy story set in Paris ( not enthralling at all).

Like the rest of the family and all his friends I was relieved that the Houston floods in the wake of hurricane Harvey had left Ewan pretty well unscathed and that the subsequent hurricanes are heading elsewhere.  By the way I assume the hurricane namers have never heard of Irma La Douce.

No comments: