Monday, August 07, 2017

I was offered earplugs on my way into the Cantonese Opera Workshop's Macbeth with the advice that there was some loud drumming.  Maybe that came in the second half which I didn't stay to see.  The first half wasn't too noisy though I was using the earplugs.

It was similar to The Boor in style but not at all as well done in my opinion.  They'd changed the story significantly.  Macbeth is off fighting the King's enemies at the start.  He's not doing too well so Mrs. M sets off and rescues him.  On their return Macbeth expresses some degree of anger that an underling has received more praise from the king than he has.  I was a bit puzzled by that since he's awarded a golden sword for valour by the king shortly afterwards.  Anyway Mrs. M looks up the magic books and works out that they are destined to be king and queen.  She can't persuade Macbeth to kill the king so she does it herself with the golden sword.

The curtain then fell on the first act.  Metaphorically since it's an open stage, so open that the black drapes at the back don't stretch all the way across.  Left and right of the action you are treated to actors wandering about throughout.  There are longish, dark gaps between some scenes adding to that village hall feel and such furniture as is brought on for one scene is absolutely out of kilter with the luscious traditional Chinese costumes worn by the cast.

Like The Boor the acting is very exaggerated.  I don't object to that in its context but when a chap comes on and spends a good while alone twirling a couple of swords about I'm searching for how that is advancing the plot. The constant drumming and banging of cymbals to accompany the actors' gyrations were a bit of a strain too.  Overall I found it boring.

I couldn't see the second half being any more exciting so I left.

No comments: