Thursday, March 16, 2017



Everybody knows that your latin lads and lassies are born dancers so it was no surprise to find the Festival Theatre packed for the visit of this Cuban company.  They were indeed wonderful and energetic dancers who were able to put their bodies through a couple of hours of routines that combined the suppleness of elastic bands and the strength of steel.

It is often the case with modern dance (especially if you don't have a programme) that while admiring the beauty and skill of the presentation your little mind has to work hard to make sense of what's going on. 

This show didn't seem so tricky to interpret.  The first piece screamed lust to me.  The second was life with an ipod (boring) and the third clearly military.  No doubt their revolution which still features highly in the national consciousness I opined to myself.

I am grateful to Claire, who enjoyed the show with me, for pointing me to this review which expresses far more succinctly, knowledgeably and elegantly than I could just what I thought. 

No comments: