Sunday, September 25, 2016

Because I was at a rather unexciting dance show on Friday I had to pop over to Glasgow to catch the SNJO's concert of music by Charles Mingus.  It was well worth the effort.  It's hard for me to keep a bit of music in my head for a few minutes never mind long enough to compare concerts that take place months apart but this was surely one of their best.

The music was lovely for a start.  Arild Andersen guesting as Mingus was super as were the band and the quality of solos was terrific, especially Tom McNiven on trumpet, Allon Beauvoisin on baritone and Martin Kershaw on soprano.

That was my second trip to Glasgow this week.  It poured with rain both times, surprise, surprise.  Not a big deal when nipping up to the Conservatoire from Queen Street but queuing outside the Hydro for ages was less pleasant.  I was there to see Andy Murray Live, a charity event that was good fun.  A semi-serious singles in which Murray beat Dimitrov was followed by a not at all serious doubles.

It started off with the Murray brothers playing against Dimitrov (in a kilt) and Henman.  All four were miked up so there was entertaining backchat to listen to as well as extraordinary play to watch.  Their lightning reactions as the ball whizzed back and forth with all four at the net was simply amazing.  Substitutes were called for and Jamie went off to be replaced as Andy Murray's partner by Gordon Reid the wheelchair tennis gold medallist in what I thought was a stroke of PR genius. 

Other weel-kent faces appeared later but I was off through the rain in the hope of getting home by midnight which I achieved - just.

The weather at other times recently has been much better, at least in Edinburgh.  I spent a couple of hours pleasantly sipping coffee and reading on my balcony which I never managed to do during the so called summer and people were dancing in the open air at the foot of the Mound a week ago.  Here are pictures to prove it.
Mound Precinct Dancers

Dancers and Band
The incomparable Dick Lee on soprano sax
On the morning of the dancing day I took part in a local litter clean-up.  Not many took part and none other than me from Dicksonfield.  Neither my emails, the notice on our website nor the posters which I put up on all our noticeboards roused a soul.  They would claim to deplore litter I'm sure but put up with it nonetheless.

Is that some form of Sour Grapes on my part?  A highly entertaing form of Sour Grapes was a documentary of that name about a wine scam in the States.  A very personable young chap with what appears to have been an encyclopedic knowledge of wine and brilliant tastebuds made millions in the rarefied world of $20,000 bottles before being rumbled.  He's now in clink where I don't suppose he gets many tasting opportunities while his victims are pouring his plonk down the drain.  Silly them I say.

I swallowed a few glassfuls myself at a twentieth wedding anniversary celebration last weekend.  There wasn't any twenty grand stuff on offer as far as I know but everyone seemed very happy with £9.99 prosecco.      

2 comments:

Claire said...

I love how you've joined the dots in this post!

Claire said...

And I love that you've described the show as rather unexciting. Just so.