Thursday, August 04, 2016

I went to my first Fringe show of the year earlier today.  It was completely by chance that someone gave me a free ticket.  The company were papering the house for their first performance.  But I really struck lucky.  It was a great show.  Half a dozen actors, all graduates of the Lecoq school in Paris (famous for mime) played out a number of more or less intelligble scenarios with wooden blocks, figurines, smoke effects, cotton wool clouds, fish heads, balloons, light, sound and music but very few words.  It all culminated in what I took to be an apocalyptic destruction of the world carried out under the watching eye of a man with a tree growing out of his ear.  It was performed with great skill and athleticism and lived up to that holy grail of the Fringe - weird but wonderful.

Get your tickets here.

When you read the reviews in The Scotsman and The Guardian of The Destroyed Room you can see why the International Festival invited Vanishing Point to present the work again in the Festival.  But did they rely solely on the reviews or did they see the show?

If I had read the reviews I would have been even more disappointed than I was. I struggle to see that any illumination or enlightenment was offered to us about the issues argued over in what seemed to me to be an episode of a middle class Big Brother.  You may say that theatre's job is to pose questions rather than give answers but that demands that the play formulates a question which I don't think this did with any clarity.

No comments: