Monday, March 21, 2016

The tunnel taking Edinburgh trains out of Queen Street station closed to traffic yesterday for five months and my fruitless journey to Glasgow which had taken an hour via Motherwell was further exacerbated by the hour and twenty minutes ride home by way of the innumerable stopping points on the Airdrie line.

Fruitless through my own fault.  I'd been to the Glasgow Short Film Festival on Thursday where a film I had some involvement with was showing; Dear Peter , which I learn today won the audience award.  I had gone back to see a film made by an Edinburgh College of Art graduate I'd met while doing a film there.  Unfortunately I didn't check the programme first and found when I got there that the film had been shown in the afternoon.  To sharpen my disappointment Isabella won the Scottish Short Film award.

Before going to the festival I'd been to the Fairfield's shipyard museum on one of my periodic jaunts with Andrew.  It's in their renovated offices which are largely given over to providing space for local businesses but quite an extensive set of rooms document the history of the yard from its beginnings to the present day.  It's well worth a trip to Govan. 

We were fortified for the excursion by lunch at the Bavaria Brauhaus.  New to me and possibly quite recently established, as the name suggests it's all German beer and grub (wine is available too).  My lunch looked so nice I had to snap it
It was called Spanferkel on the menu.  That's really suckling pig and this was humble pork belly but it was absolutely delicious and highly recommended should you find yourself in Bothwell Street at lunchtime.  The beer on the other hand was nothing to write home about.  But I speak as someone for whom lager is an unacquired taste.

No comments: