Monday, September 21, 2015

As well as being the first British man to win Wimbledon for however many decades, Andy Murray has now secured GB a place in the Davis Cup final in which we have not featured since 1978 and haven't won since 1936.  He had help from his brother in the doubles against Australia but it's essentially a one man team. 

This has made tennis fans here very happy but Belgian fans are surely delirious.  Their team won the other semi-final getting them their first final place since 1904 when they were beaten by GB.  The match will take place in Belgium and if the ticket prices are similar to the semi (most expensive 38 euros, about 30 quid) then a Ryanair flight plus a tennis ticket will probably come in at not much more than the £65 I paid in Glasgow for the cheapest seat.

I missed seeing the doubles either in the flesh or on the tele because I was at Pitlochry Festival Theatre with a group of chums to see A Little Night Music by Stephen Sondheim.  I'm not much of a Sondheim fan and was there primarily to be sociable but I liked the production if not the product.

Sunday night saw me back in Glasgow for a SNJO gig featuring saxophonist and composer Benny Golson.  At 85 he's still a powerful player and the orchestra did full and immaculate justice to his compositions.  He's also a great story teller and every tune was introduced with an entertaining anecdote.  He talked so much in fact that I caught the 11pm train home when I'd anticipated catching the 10 o'clock.  But it was an excellent evening well worth the late finish.

No comments: