Thursday, April 02, 2015

When I arrived in Obertauern for a skiing holiday this year I was relieved to find that I had just missed a week of celebrations of the town's fifteen minutes of fame - the visit of the Beatles in 1965 to shoot some snow scenes for the film Help!

As well as holding a week of jollity they have erected this permanent memorial and other installations that I take to be temporary but you never know to what lengths fans in combination with tourist offices will go.  Wogblog tells the full exciting story of the fab four's visit.

The weather was not the unrelieved blue sky and sunshine of my last visit so I took one day off to visit Saltzburg which celebrates its connection with another musician of renown.  Arguably Mozart has been memorialised in a less dignified manner than the Beatles by the invention of Mozart Balls and the opening of shops devoted to their sale.

No comments: