Thursday, April 10, 2014

For a very long time my bellwether of cinematic incomprehensibility has been Last Year at Marienbad.  Its position has been threatened from time to time, by Mullholland Drive for example, but it may now have been overtaken for ever by Under the Skin.

There's a certain hypnotic fascination to it but dearie me what a lot of nonsense.  If it was trying to tell me something it failed.

Verdi's Macbeth didn't grab me either although it was perfectly comprehensible.  I found it dull and lacking in tension.  I don't think that can be entirely because of familiarity with the story.  Maybe it's because of the scaled down musical forces as mentioned in the Guardian review or maybe the second back row in The King's was too far away from the action or maybe I just wasn't in the mood.

Whatever the reason I was disappointed.

No comments: