Thursday, June 13, 2013

When Rock Around The Clock hit UK screens in the mid 50s cinemagoers danced in the aisles and in some cases even ripped out seats to make room.  I don't remember anyone dancing in the cinema where I saw it and even if they did I'm sure I'd have been far too self-conscious to join in.

But not any more.  This week students from Edinburgh College (Sighthill) were showing their work and one film in the form of an interactive tutorial had me and most of the rest of the audience on our feet learning how to do a bit of Bhangra.  Our efforts weren't as good as these but if we were to join the Edinburgh Bhangra Crew who knows how far we could go.

Another form of dance that I wasn't familiar with was the subject of one of the fine documentaries shown.  Here's the whole thing - Mons Meg Rappers.  Puts the Highland Sword Dance in its place don't you think?

No comments: