Monday, May 20, 2013

Making idle conversation whilst enjoying tonsorial attention the other day I offered the information that I was holidaying in the islands of Orkney and Shetland this summer.  "Is that near Stornoway?" I was asked.  On learning the true whereabouts of my holiday destination and being given as a bonus  the name of the island group sheltering Stornoway the barber lady generously absolved her geography teacher of responsibility crying mea culpa and swearing to peruse a map over her tea that evening.

I hope she did.

I was crying mea culpa myself as I left a performance of Sutra.  I chose to go, nobody forced me.  Did I think that I would get a lot out of 70 minutes of Kung Fu like prancing and grunting or what?  I grant you it looks lovely and it's very athletic and I'd never have thought you could do so much on a stage with a couple of dozen coffin sized boxes but it didn't float my boat.  Others thought much more highly of the work.

I felt similarly negative about This House.  Maybe I'd have enjoyed this story of the internecine battle between Labour and Tory whips in the period 74 to 79 if I'd seen it in the theatre rather than as a satellite transmission to a cinema, but I'm not sure.  I think the political and social changes that took place during that time are better deserving of a theatrical airing than the struggle to get members through the lobbies.  Others thought differently.

I shan't bother comparing my opinion of the RSNO's performance of Elijah with what anyone else thought because I know it was great, especially the off-stage children's choir.  Ethereal is the only word for that.

No comments: