Monday, January 09, 2012

A chance car-park encounter yesterday morning led to a very pleasant afternoon.  I had arrived to play golf by myself when a lady unloading her clubs at the same time as me told me of a Sunday social competition for which she is the organiser.

Called the winter mixed the deal is that you turn up at 11.30 on a Sunday morning and teams of four men and/or women are put together at random to play a four ball competition.  Each player puts in a quid and the winning team split the pot.

It was a blustery day but rain free and not too cold.  Such cold as there was was mitigated at the halfway stage by a wee swalley of rusty nail from a hip flask handed round by one of the friendly three I played with.  We didn't win but I was more than happy to have contributed a couple of holes to our combined score.

It was good to play 18 holes instead of the 12 that the seniors stick to and there was a nice half hour's chat in the bar afterwards so I have pencilled it in for the next several Sundays.

No comments: