Saturday, November 07, 2009

If you ever have occasion to be looking for Glasgow University Concert Hall be aware that's it's a wee bit tricky.

I went over a few days ago to attend a lunchtime concert and when I got to the university I dutifully followed the signs that led me round a few corners, up a stair, round a few more corners, through their pretty cloisters (you've probably seen them on the telly cos it's a great academic location) and through an opening where a grand staircase carpeted in royal blue led upwards.

On the landing to the right was the entrance to the Hunterian museum (I'm not sure if that's Hunter author of The anatomy of the human gravid uterus or his wee brother, but one day I'll find out). Opposite was an imposing set of double doors that I breeched. Within stood a trio of chaps and chapesses of whom I enquired whether this was the Concert Hall. They replied to a (wo)man that indeed twere so but that it was in use for a function. They expressed astonishment at my belief that there was a concert scheduled for ten past one. Was there another concert hall I asked. They shook their heads in acknowledgement of their lack of knowledge and suggested I try reception.

Well the man at the gatehouse knew nothing and in the way of janitors everywhere was short on customer service skills so I found my own way to the music department where after some battering on doors I roused the staff. They were helpfulness personified and after some discussion realised that the hall that I had been informed was the Concert Hall by the chap(ess) trio was not. It was they believed a hall called the Bute Hall which sits atop the Concert Hall.

So I scurried back and found that if you duck behind the imposing, blue-carpeted staircase there is a hidden hall: a very gracious hall: a concert hall: in fact THE Concert Hall.

And the concert? Well it was splendid. Bill Clinton loved Sax Ecosse and so did I.

No comments: