Thursday, May 29, 2008

Of course the man’s right you’ll have said when you read my last post. Something that’s unique is a one-off. The Taj Mahal isn’t a little bit unique or very unique, it’s just unique – end of story.

True, you’ll have said; so true perhaps; how true even; or maybe very true. Wait a minute; isn’t truth one of those “it is” or “it isn’t” things? If something is true it isn’t a little bit true or very true, it’s just true.

So how come “very true” doesn’t bother me but “very unique” makes me foam at the mouth? Therein lies a linguistic mystery.

And here’s another linguistic mystery. What is “Mushroom fricassee of wood and its poached egg with velvety of boletus”?

It’s what I had for my starter at dinner last night. Fortunately the chef served up the original dish and not its English translation.

1 comment:

Claire said...

The true 'very' is used only for emphasis and not tautologically. Where as the unique 'very' is just wrong. Understandable foam.