Thursday, April 10, 2008

I've been reading a book recently about the dispute between Newton and Leibnitz as to which of them was the inventor of calculus. I shan't spoil the undoubted pleasure you would get from "The Calculus Wars" by Jason Bardi by so much as hinting at the answer but will share with you some of the incidental knowledge I gained.

While having fun in Paris Leibnitz reluctantly accepted an appointment as counsellor to the Duke of Hanover because he needed the money, and although he dragged his heels for a couple of years he eventually turned up in Hanover in 1676 and spent 40 years raking it in, working polymathically and enthusiastically on behalf of his boss and twice as hard in pursuit of his own intellectual interests.

One of the jobs he took on soon after his appointment was to write the history of his boss's family. His estimate was a couple of years work but in fact it was still incomplete when he died in 1716.

I often feel that my much slighter "Life of Brian" website is going the same way. I've now filled up all the free webspace I had and have been looking around for more. I've found what surely will be enough for me but of course I'm having to transfer all the data. That's not entirely straightforward even now that after a couple of days I've resolved various technical issues. But I have to change every single page in one way or another so it is not the work of an instant.

I'm taking the opportunity to get rid of the frame structure thus removing barriers to search engines, and to create links straight to every show and every year on the site directly from the first page.

Until I've copied it all to the new space The Life of Brian will be where it always has been but if you'd like a sneak preview click here . Be warned that some links are dead ends.

No comments: