Friday, February 29, 2008

Coming home from a lovely meal at Telford College's Zero One restaurant the other night, made even lovelier by it being Nick's treat, I greeted an Indian gentleman who was leaving the ground floor for the basement as I approached the lift.

This is what met my eyes when the lift door opened. I stepped in and snapped then stepped back out of the lift whether to snap it from another angle or to ask the chap if he hadn't perhaps forgotten his chapattis I am not sure but the door closed and lift and contents vanished from view.

I jabbed at the button but the lift did not respond. It whirred on a journey up and down the shaft ignoring my persistent finger.

I could hear male and female sub-continental voices exchange incomprehensible remarks until silence fell broken by a descending whirr and a final clunk as the lift came to rest revealing only a trace of its former burden.


25kg of chapatti flour had disappeared in a mechanised form of Indian rope trick.

1 comment:

Claire said...

The lift mystery thickens. I think you have a baby Bermuda triangle in the midst of Leith Walk...