Wednesday, May 23, 2007

By dint of being very unFrench and working through the lunch-hour I got the rest of the garden beaten into submission before 3pm. Although I was cutting in straight lines I ended up with a final triangle of thick matted growth such as I haven’t come across in a long time. Yesterday’s tactic of skimming through with the front wheels in the air didn’t get me far and the alternative of driving straight at it on all fours and withdrawing just before the engine stalls wasn’t much better. I ended up trimming round the edges with only half the blade engaged until finally it was à poil.

I’d like to trim another inch or so off the whole garden this evening since otherwise it will be Monday or at best Sunday evening before I have another chance but the sky is blackening to the west and the atmosphere is close. Sure signs of an approaching summer thunderstorm. Maybe it will burst while still some distance away.

1 comment:

Claire said...

For god's sake, be careful. Remember the disaster that befell the groundsman as he flattened the cricket pitch with his steam roller thing on the morning of my almost final finals exam.

(Not that you were there but I suspect I will have shared the anecdote in appropriately hushed tones of horror.)